Foster care plays a vital role in society by offering safe and stable housing for vulnerable children and young people. In Victoria, where approximately 6,000 young individuals need such care, Lighthouse Foster Care has emerged as a beacon of hope.
Have you ever thought about fostering? Enquire with Lighthouse today.
We are so thankful to Lighthouse foster carers, Dom & Indi, who shared their inspirational experience with Fostering through Lighthouse’s program in this exclusive Channel 10 segment Which featured this week.
A Lifeline for Victoria’s Youth:
Lighthouse Foster Care is committed to ensuring the well-being and prospects of young people who have experienced trauma or unstable living situations. Our comprehensive approach includes 24/7 support, additional respite, and psychological assistance, offering a holistic care model that nurtures the overall development of the children and foster families in our program.
Foster Care Statistics in Victoria:
- Approximately 6,000 young people in Victoria are currently in need of safe and stable housing. These vulnerable individuals require compassionate foster carers to provide them with a nurturing environment where they can grow and thrive.
- According to the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) in Victoria, there were 9,932 children and young people in out-of-home care as of June 2021. This number includes children in foster care, kinship care, and residential care.
- In Victoria, there is a growing demand for foster carers from diverse backgrounds who can support children and young people with different cultural, religious, and linguistic needs. Lighthouse Foster Care recognizes and values the diversity of carers, ensuring that all children are placed in environments that meet their specific requirements.
- The average length of stay for children and young people in foster care varies depending on their individual circumstances. Some may experience short-term placements, while others require more long-term stability. Lighthouse Foster Care works diligently to provide a safe and supportive environment for children throughout their time in care, whether it is for a few months or several years.
- The impact of foster care extends beyond the immediate benefits of safe housing and support. Research consistently shows that children who have experienced stable and nurturing foster care are more likely to excel academically, have better mental health outcomes, and develop healthy relationships compared to those who have not had such opportunities.
Lighthouse Carers for Carers:
Lighthouse Foster Care understands the importance of supporting foster carers themselves. Recognizing that fostering can be both rewarding and challenging, we ensure that carers have access to ongoing training, guidance, and respite care when needed. By nurturing and supporting the carers, Lighthouse creates an environment where we can provide the best possible care for the children entrusted to them.